Gasoline Price
Gun Stats

Share | 

The Shame Of Our Standing Armed Forces

Go down 
AuthorMessage
drhoracepower

PostSubject: The Shame Of Our Standing Armed Forces   Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:02 pm

I can well recall the tirades against "The Establishment" back throughout the '60's for
the Draft System which necessarily supplied the "Cannon Fodder" for the Vietnam Conflict
by dredging a majority of new recruits from the poorer sections of our society. It was the general consensus of the times that it was designed that way to rid the ghettos of troublemakers and indigents who were best put to use in fighting an unwinnable war. In fact, the Draft system of the day was designed to protect college students who were meaningfully engaged in educating themselves to be of further use to society. What the system failed to recognize was that the vast preponderance of individuals in the lower echelons of the society were not prepared financially or in educational background to attend college to benifit from such exemptions. It was unfortunate but not "planned" by anyone. It just fell that way by the numbers. A lesson that should have been learned.

I don't believe that anything has improved. I in fact am of the firm conviction that the "Myth Of The Volunteer Army" is a much more sinister and well thought out political rehash of the same theory that we used to demonstrate about in 1968. I say "Myth" because it is worth a moment or two to contemplate this: "It is not in the governments best interest to improve the economy in any significant way now or until the Mid-East conflicts are over". This of course could be NEVER. Why would I make such an outlandish comment?

Both the Republican and Democratic administrations of the past ten years have demonstrated an ineptitude for making bad decisions which has incrementally thrown the economy of our country into spiraling surges of double-digit unemployment, lost industry to foreign powers through "treasonous" trade policies adopted which were voted through even knowing the obvious results. 45 million people in our own country living below poverty levels. 25 million kids that go to bed hungry every night in our own country. Another 25 million individuals among the "Working Poor" living from hand to mouth on one of these "Thousands Of New Jobs" that pay from $7 to $10 an hour.
It's shameful but, even beyond the obvious the government cannot nor is it willing to make the sacrifices necessary to right the ship.

Think about this: "Who are our Volunteer Army enlistees?" Kids out of high school today and even fresh out of college are faced with a grim reality: There are no jobs out there for them unless in sophisticated engineering fields. With no choices in front of them, three hots and a cot and $950 a month is pretty inviting when you have NOTHING!
This is our "Volunteer Army". Again another conflict fought on the backs on those who can least afford it but, I believe this time it has been planned. Their leaders are those who graduated from college and are fufilling their ROTC contracts OR are the obvious front row candidates for OCS. Anything "FAIR" about this system?

Our youngest did two tours in Iraq in the Marines for the same reasons. He hated school, just barely graduated and could find no job around except detailing cars. I could find no reason to stop him from enlisting. I talked to the recruiter with him and it sure sounded good. Nothing the recruiter promised or suggested ever came to fruition even though he attained the rank of Platoon Seargent in just five years. He mustered out with nothing to show for it but a bad back and a $250 a month disability. I suppose we are lucky that he returned with his life, but what about those who don't come back. Should we be PROUD that they served or OUTRAGED. I can't decide.

I believe that EVERYONE should serve a three year hitch right out of High School, no exceptions. Seems the only way to me to get some of our leader's kids into the fray and then we'll see how willing they are to poke their noses into every other's country" business.

Just food for thought. Need some feedback on this.

drhoracepower
Back to top Go down
LarryWNY
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Shame Of Our Standing Armed Forces   Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:24 pm

I agree with your idea for all coming out of highschool to at least spend two years in some service branch. Not for the reason you stated ,but i do agree it might temper their eagerness to send their own into harms way. I like the idea in that it would help create a stronger society where, as in Isreal, all adult members would be able to work together much more proficiently in a time of crisis with each other and government forces local and Federal to defend /provide assistance where it is needed. Response times to situations would be instant thus midigating the ramifications of almost any event.

and yes the government loves when people cant take care of them selves and join the services just to make ends meet, just more pawns for them to play with.

Larry,

Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Shame Of Our Standing Armed Forces   Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:25 am

To address further what you touched on with the economy I believe untill America starts to produce the goods that we use every day in life we cannot stop our downward spin into third world status. We,America will never recover to the once known glory and pride we revered untill that has been addressed. The door needs to be shut profoundly on imports and I do not give a damb about who or what country that pisses off, no free country can compeat with those that imploy children, pay ridiculously low wages and use slave labor. The time to put America FIRST is long past due; I find it appalling as well that the government sends untold millions/billions in aid/support to other places when fellow Americans HERE are in dire need of aid them selves. Some would call me selfish but the world needs to take care of its own ass untill we have taken care of ours.

Larry,

PostSubject: Re: The Shame Of Our Standing Armed Forces   Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:43 am

Larry,

You've recognized a very important cornerstone of our present predicament wholy created by our government. Would you mind if we took this conversation to our National association and forum as i believe it is important enough that all our members across the country have cause to contemplate and expound on the problem and develop a means to reach the right people who can do something about it?

drhoracepower
Back to top Go down
LarryWNY
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Shame Of Our Standing Armed Forces   Mon May 03, 2010 12:45 pm

please post the URL. Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: The Shame Of Our Standing Armed Forces   

Back to top Go down

The Shame Of Our Standing Armed Forces
Page 1 of 1