WNY READINESS GROUP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WNY READINESS GROUP

Disaster/Event Readiness INFO New York and Warren area

HomeHOMELatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» new patriot from catt county
Bat Houses I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 10:47 pm by mrhorsepower460

Bat Houses I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 4:14 pm by PatriotPete84

» Northern Chautauqua
Bat Houses I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 3:43 pm by LarryWNY

Bat Houses I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 3:42 pm by LarryWNY

» new member from orleans county
Bat Houses I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 8:02 pm by rholding

» Gas.......
Bat Houses I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 11:11 pm by LarryWNY

» Erie County Patriot here!
Bat Houses I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 10:09 pm by thunder8922

» 2012 How lost we have become.
Bat Houses I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 11:33 pm by LarryWNY

» NYS CIG TAX
Bat Houses I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 4:05 pm by LarryWNY

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Commodity Price
Gasoline Price
Gun Stats

Bat Houses

Go down 
AuthorMessage
LarryWNY
Admin
LarryWNY

Bat Houses Empty
PostSubject: Bat Houses   Bat Houses I_icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 4:39 pm

Common placement mistakes

The greatest bat house in the world will never contain a bat unless it is placed properly in the field. In cool climates it is best to avoid shady locations at all costs. Often this limits the mounting options to strategically placed new posts or sunny chimneys. Bad placement includes the following:

A bat house that is in a shady location. It needs a minimum of seven hours of morning sunlight.
A bat house mounted on a tree. Rarely will the box ever receive enough direct sunlight in cool climates.
Bat house placed on a structure, directly under the eves. Again, this may be simply too shaded.
Placed too far from permanent water. Dry, arid locations are less desirable, though bats will drink from swimming pools.
Located over bright surfaces which reflect light into box. Shiny flashing or even pans to collect guano may deter use at certain times of the season.
Located near burn barrels or air vents where smoke or strong wind will disturb bats. Beware of air conditioner units which may not be active when installation occurs.
Erected where the box is prone to vandalism. Shaking the bat house to watch them fly out during the daytime- yes, your bats will abandon the roost.
Placed in brightly lighted areas. Avoid mounting where dusk-to-dawn lights shine directly onto the box.
Erected directly along roads, where bats are vulnerable to automobile traffic during their dawn return.
No maintenance. Some mounting solutions make a quick yearly inspection into a difficult and even dangerous ordeal. Bat houses do require minor wasp and seam inspection, otherwise bats will begin to abandon the box. Be alert for a hornet invasion as well; bats will immediately abandon a bat house until these aggressive insects are removed.

Common bat house design and construction problems

Bad bat house designs are simply flawed from the start. They are often too small overall and contain crevices too large. Sometimes a critical detail is omitted, such as a landing plate. Usually these boxes cannot compete with a modern design, even after being upgraded by a creative hobbyist. Bad construction is a different matter, usually the box can be successful after some paint, caulk, extra screws, and extra roughening.

A single chamber box. Bats simply prefer larger structures which offer a wider range of stable temperatures. A tightly built single chamber bat house may be good "starter" box that would be great for giveaways to the general public.
Factory smooth interior crevices. All interior wood must be roughened for bats to readily cling to. Some commercial boxes staple screening to the inside of the box which may eventually fall off as condensation and urine rust the staples. A "bat house" seen for sale at a major hardware store has only one groove on the "landing plate"; this is totally unacceptable.
Unprotected roof. Roofs without shingles may last only a few seasons, once the roof is compromised the box will be incapable of retaining heat and fall into disuse.
Nailed together with unsealed seams. This type of box will warp and separate at the seams allowing unwanted ventilation and disuse.
Unpainted, unprotected exterior. Some manufacturers insist on leaving bat boxes unpainted. While in certain regions the natural wood color may be a suitable color, there is no good reason for the structure to go unprotected. While cedar is rot resistant, it will warp and separate the seams just as much as any other wood material.
Bad design. Bat research has proceeded at a very fast rate, thanks to improved communication among many different hobbyists and biologists across the country. For example, a tall open-bottomed bat house is now preferred over smaller closed bottom designs which tend to attract more parasites.
Old plans. Bat house plans can be found in a variety of places, which is good. Unfortunately, many posters, books, and flyers were published years ago with now antiquated plans. Frighteningly, this information is still distributed by many reputable sources. A stack of utterly horrid plans obtained from a state wildlife agency were seen distributed at a wildlife program in just a few years ago.
"Recycled" material. Some people construct bat houses of decent design but with lumber salvaged from demolished structures in effort to cut costs. As some pesticides can leave active residues for years, approach used lumber with care.
Unrealistic claims. For example, a seven chamber bat house was once observed with nearly 600 bats inside. However, our we still only rate that box at 300. This is because 600 bats in this size bat house is overcrowded and unhealthy.

http://pubs.cas.psu.edu/FreePubs/pdfs/uh081.pdf

House plans start around page 20
Back to top Go down

Bat Houses
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WNY READINESS GROUP  :: WELCOME PLEASE READ :: AGRICULTURE :: PEST CONTROL-
Jump to: