WNY READINESS GROUP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WNY READINESS GROUP

Disaster/Event Readiness INFO New York and Warren area

HomeHOMELatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» new patriot from catt county
Pigs  secondary food source.. I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 10:47 pm by mrhorsepower460

Pigs  secondary food source.. I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 4:14 pm by PatriotPete84

» Northern Chautauqua
Pigs  secondary food source.. I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 3:43 pm by LarryWNY

Pigs  secondary food source.. I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 3:42 pm by LarryWNY

» new member from orleans county
Pigs  secondary food source.. I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 8:02 pm by rholding

» Gas.......
Pigs  secondary food source.. I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 11:11 pm by LarryWNY

» Erie County Patriot here!
Pigs  secondary food source.. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 10:09 pm by thunder8922

» 2012 How lost we have become.
Pigs  secondary food source.. I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 11:33 pm by LarryWNY

» NYS CIG TAX
Pigs  secondary food source.. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 4:05 pm by LarryWNY

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Commodity Price
Gasoline Price
Gun Stats

Pigs secondary food source..

Go down 
AuthorMessage
LarryWNY
Admin
LarryWNY

Pigs  secondary food source.. Empty
PostSubject: Pigs secondary food source..   Pigs  secondary food source.. I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 2:54 pm

Pigs are omnivores, which means that they eat plants and animals. Pigs eat almost any kind of food, including dead insects, worms, trees, bark, garbage and even dead pigs. In the wild, they forage for their food. They mainly eat leaves, grass, roots, fruits and flowers

Facts About Pigs

•Pigs do not have sweat glands, so they cool themselves by using water or mud. Mud protects the pigs from flies and other nasty parasites.
•There are over 2 billion domestic pigs around the world!
•The Asian pot-bellied pig is kept as a pet.
•A typical litter of piglets contains 6-12 piglets (baby pigs).
•Pigs have four toes on each foot. Only the two middle toes (which are larger than the others) are used for walking.
•Domestic pigs are raised by farmers for their meat (pork) and for leather.
•Some domestic pigs have escaped from farms and become feral. These pigs cause major damage to the environment as they eat many native plants and grasses.
•make sure you have a shelter for your pigs. It has to be big enough for them to move around when they get big. Our barn is about 10' x 12' for the pigs. You need a food troth, a bedding area and a place for them to go to the bathroom.

make sure you have a shelter for your pigs. It has to be big enough for them to move around when they get big. Our barn is about 10' x 12' for the pigs. You need a food troth, a bedding area and a place for them to go to the bathroom.

You will need about 700 pounds of food per pig to raise them to about 200 pounds. We get pig grower pellets until they are about 150 pounds and then we switch to finisher.

•Provide hay. Pigs are not thought of as nesting animals, but they are. For this reason, provide them with plenty of hay. Pigs are considered dirty animals because of cartoons and other images, but they are rather clean. They don't defecate or urinate in their living quarters, so cleaning their area is not a disgusting job, and it's pretty simple-a good sweeping will do it. It's important to not let the hay supply run out since nesting is a part of pigs' nature.

Fence them in. When pigs are outside of their housing area, they'll want to explore and root around the ground, so they'll need to be fenced in to stay in their area.

Free ranging them could become deadly if you have children in your group.

Not my first choice in a SHTF case for easy sustainable food source but eating Chicken every day will get old fast

Back to top Go down

Pigs secondary food source..
Page 1 of 1